Thursday, March 15, 2007

Eigi san's!!!!!

Many of my friends here in Yokosuka will tell you that I am a fan of Eigi san's. Eigi san's is a local ramen restaurant about 300 yds. from the Lighthouse that I visit frequently, maybe too frequently. I remember going there my first time with Nate and thinking to myself, "I'm going to come back here for sure." And I have been back there many times. (I go there 3 times a week some weeks.) The food there is fantastic and Eigi san is a really neat guy. He's really animated and loves to ask us questions and it’s just a really fun place to be. (Side note: Eigi san's is what everyone calls the restaurant. I asked him what the name of his restaurant was one time and he told me the Japanese name of it which mean "Noodle Street".)

Anyways, when Sara came I planned on taking her to Eigisan's a couple of times. Many of you know that I like food and when I find a favorite restaurant I like to talk about how good it is and how much I like going there. Eigi san's is by far my favorite restaurant in Japan and Sara, being my sister, has heard a lot about Eigi san's. So after church on Sunday, Sara, Chris Wheeler, and I went down to Eigi san's. Let me say that they were not disappointed.

We were met by a huge smile from Eigisan and his wife when we walked in. I introduced Eigisan to my sister and friend and then we sat down and I told them about what's good and so on. (Everything is good that I have tried.) Another one of my favorite things about Eigi san's is that he loves to give us free food. I have left there many times way too full because I ate too much. (I always eat too much because he gives me free food and I don't want to insult him by not eating it.) So on this day, my sister's first Japanese meal, she got hooked up. I normally get fried rice (it comes with egg, pork, and other good stuff in it) and gyoza (potsticker kind of things). Sara and Chris ordered the same thing and then Eigi san decided to through in some shrimp, soup, grasshoppers, and mango pudding on the side. I was very proud of Sara because she tried not one, but two grasshoppers. Every time I try grasshoppers I like them more and more. They're still not my favorite, but I eat them more willingly than I did before. They kind of taste like hard raisins, but they have the legs and everything else attached to them. (Not the wings.) Eigi san likes to joke around with them and it was the beginning point for something really cool that I will share with you in the next paragraph. Anyways Eigisan's was fantastic and I know that Sara and Chris were Eigisan fans when they left the restaurant. I remember Chris said toward the end of the meal, "This is the best Japanese meal that I have ever had." Sara ended our meal with, "Now I know why you talk about this place so much."

One of the really cool things about going to Eigisan's right now is that he is asking a lot of questions. The first thing that I remember him pointing out to me was about John the Baptist and that he ate locusts. (That's when he loves to bring out the container of grasshoppers.) Since then there have been many nights where I go into the restaurant by myself or with friends and he has asked us about Mary, Jesus, and Moses. It’s really neat to know that he is interested in God and that he is asking a lot of questions. There are a lot of people that have been going there from the Lighthouse for many years and it’s exciting to be a part of Eigi san's interest in the Bible. I am praying for him and that he would come to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. Stayed tuned for more updates about Eigisan's and Sara's visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home