Sunday, February 25, 2007

Recent Adventure #1

So in the month of February I’ve been on a couple of little adventures. Well they’re not really adventures and more like day trips, but I still thought I could share them with you. Both of my trips were to Kamakura, one was sightseeing and the other was hiking. Kamakura at one point was the capital of Japan. It has about 200 shrines or temples and has a lot of history in it. Before I used to go to Kamakura and just kind of get lost, but now I’m trying to actually go and see things and go places that actually have some significance.

My first trip I took a couple from the U.S., who were out here to film a video for Malachi Ministries, to see the Great Buddha and a couple of the shrines and temples. I’m not totally sure, but I think that the Great Buddha is the second largest buddha in all of Japan and the third largest in the whole world. I hadn’t been there before and so it was pretty neat to see this huge statue. The temple that this buddha was in was taken out by a tsunami some years ago and so it is pretty weathered from all the rain and wind. Seeing the Great Buddha made me very thankful that my God is bigger than I could ever imagine. I had the chance to go inside the buddha and see its structure and this made me even more thankful that I have a relationship with and pray to God, who is perfect and holy and not empty and deteriorating.

We also visited some of the temples there and got to see some crazy statues and so on. If you look at the picture of all the little statues you will notice that there are a lot of them. I wasn’t sure what they were for, but I learned later that these statues are bought by women who have just had abortions. I don’t know what the buddhas are supposed to do, but I was blown away when I heard this. It was interesting to see all the Japanese architecture and visit some of these temples that are some crazy amount of years old. At one of the temples we went to this cool little look out and got to see some of bay at Kamakura.

I guess the beach at Kamakura is a pretty nice place to go in the summer. If you look close enough you might be able to see some windsurfers. (They must have been freezing.) Anyways that was about it for my first little adventure. I’ll tell you more about my second adventure in my next blog.

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting! I have to do a short presentation on Japan for my Buddhism class when I get back from Spring Break, so hopefully we can visit some more Buddha statues and temples and get some good pictures so my presentation can be A+ quality!
-Sara

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Germ I am glad you are getting to see some of Japan while you are there. You may never have this experience again, so take advantage of it while you can. Looks like fun!!!!!!! Miss you, Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home