Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Kitty Hawk


The other day I had the chance to tour the Kitty Hawk with the band Braddigan. Our tour guide was one of the guys from the Lighthouse, so that was pretty cool. It was mind-blowing to me to see this thing. For those of you who don't know the Kitty Hawk is the oldest active aircraft carrier in the Navy. It is going to be decommissioned in 2008 and is about 45 years old if I remember right. I don't know, you just need to see this thing, but it is humongous. It is just this giant floating city that is home to something like 5,000 people for a major part of the year. It’s got so many things on it and I think I only saw a small percentage of it. We were able to see and learn a little bit about some of the control rooms and got to sit in the captain's seat. I really enjoyed it and was just amazed that this thing floats. It would have been cool if there were some airplanes on the boat, but there weren't. In my lifetime though I would like to see a plane take off and land on an aircraft carrier. An interesting fact that I learned was that when the planes land on the carrier they are at full throttle just in case the clip doesn't catch the and they have to take off again. The tour was really cool and I was glad that I had a chance to see it.

1 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one has posted a comment??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home